The purpose of this procedure is to describe Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School's approach to the consistent management of student attendance to meet legislative requirements and sector standards.
2.1 General requirements
The Queensland Government states that "each parent of a child who is of compulsory school age has the legal obligation to ensure their child is enrolled and attends a school, on every school day for the educational program in which the child is enrolled, unless the parent has a reasonable excuse.
A child should be enrolled in and attend school in the year that they turn compulsory school age (six years and six months). Each parent of a young person in the compulsory participation phase has the legal obligation to ensure that the young person is participating full-time in an eligible option, unless the parent has a reasonable excuse."
The Compulsory Schooling Phase:
Our school has a responsibility to record student attendance and respond to instances of irregular attendance. Employees must use the eMinerva system to record student attendance and absences. It is important for our school to investigate the patterns and underlying causes of non-attendance so that appropriate strategies addressing the specific type of absenteeism can be implemented.
Our school, and by virtue of their employment, our teachers, are legally required to monitor and record attendance of students in their care on a daily basis, whether absent or present in class, on excursion or at a school based activity.
Student attendance level
Students, legal guardians, and employees work together to ensure all students meet the school expectation of 90% or above attendance and zero unexplained absences.
90% attendance equates to 5 days absence per term and 10 days absence per semester.2.2 Roles and responsibilities
AM rolls at 9 am and PM rolls after second break at 12:00 pm.
Students who are:
- in Class will be marked 'Present – In Class'.- in an alternative learning activity must be marked 'Present - Alternative Learning Activity'
- with Guidance Counsellors must be marked as 'Present - In-School Appointment'
- in sick bay must have their attendance category changed to 'Present - In Sick Bay' by the office personnel
- participating in activities (excursion, camps etc.) must be marked by the teacher responsible for the activity
These attendance categories must not be changed, unless the student is present in class and then the category must be changed to 'Present – In Class'.
Students will only be marked as 'Present – Not Required to Attend' upon instruction from School Leadership or the Enrolment Officer.
- not in class, and notification has not been received from a parent/legal guardian, will be marked 'Absent – Unexplained'
- not in class and notification has been received from a Parent/Legal Guardian, must be marked 'Absent - Explained'
Non-Marking of Electronic Roll